Monday, October 31, 2005

I HEART CHARLIE KAUFMAN

I mentioned last week that I got to go to a Writer's Guild Foundation event where Charlie Kaufman was interviewed about writing. The evening was inspiring and informative at the same time. He was shy (he admitted to freaking out when he saw the line outside and wondering if he could bail), but also confident and funny. He is still very humble and professes that he is a guy who he doesn't think knows that much. Especially in this town, that kind of attitude is refreshing. He is adorable in that brainy, boyish way that I love, but I tried to focus on what he was saying about writing. He spoke about trying to find the truth in things and writing about what he is feeling and thinking in the moment. He mentioned that when he was trying to write/adapt The Orchid Thief and it was a year overdue -- he tried to figure out what he was thinking about and the reality was that he was stressing about not being able to adapt the book, so that is how he came up with Adaptation. I can't imagine another screenwriter that would have come up with that kind of innovative solution to a problem, but that is why Charlie is so admired. The moderator, FX Feeney (who is also a writer), did a good job. I have come to realize as I attend more of these kinds of events that a good moderator is key. FX clearly knew a ton about Charlie and/or had done his homework and he asked thoughtful and thought provoking questions. The other consistent thing about these events is that there are always a few weirdos in the audience that ask odd questions or put the guest on the spot. I wish to god they would screen the questions ahead of time. My friend Debbie who went with me was extra excited because not only did we get to see Charlie and hear him talk about writing, but we also saw the host of the Amazing Race. I don't watch that show much, but I do have to admit that he is kind of cute. I know the host of that show, Phil, is also a writer, so maybe he and Charlie know each other or he is a WGA member. Charlie almost never does events like this, so I feel grateful to have attended.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home