Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Thumbs Up For Dates With Drew & Happy Endings

I ended up renting a couple of dvds over the Thanksgiving holiday. I watched Happy Endings first and I genuinely enjoyed it. The writer and director of the film (Don Roos) is really good at writing authentic dialogue and creating flawed characters who have multiple layers that get peeled away as the story progresses (also check out The Opposite of Sex for evidence of this), but he has a way of getting you to feel sympathy even for the people who seem to have no redeemable qualities. The next thing I watched was Brian Herzlinger's documentary called My Date With Drew, which is about his quest to get a date with Drew Barrymore. The documentary is uplifting and entertaining mostly because of Herzlinger's genuine charm and honesty about his life. He is handsome in a goofy way and loves to shine a light on the things he thinks are his flaws (his hairiness is focused on at length). The movie is about trying to get the date with Drew (I won't spoil it by saying if he does get it or not, just rent it and see), but also about how hard it can be to succeed in this business and how almost everyone wonders if they made the right choice in pursuing it. I can especially relate to this right now, so it was good timing for me to watch it, but now he is successful and still younger than me, so I'm a tiny bit bitter. Click here to read one of the many positive reviews it received.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home