Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Smells Like Indie Spirit

I know that some people (my parents probably) won't get the title of this posting, but that's ok because sometimes I just like to entertain myself and the few people who get my obscure references (although this one isn't so obscure). Wow, I am really rambling today. Anyway, the Independent Spirit Awards were announced this morning. I like watching this show when it airs (usually on Bravo, I think) because it takes place near the beach, people are dressed more casually and the whole vibe is more mellow and doesn't feel like some giant overly commercial enterprise. The whole event is less fixated on superficial things like what dress you are wearing and what giant studio put out your movie and more focused on movies that have substance, but are still entertaining (no sequels or tentpole pics included). I have seen and enjoyed a bunch of the movies that got nominated: (Good Night and Good Luck, The Squid and The Whale, etc.), but I still need to see a few (Capote, Brokeback Mountain). A movie I have been reading about for many months, The Puffy Chair, written by brothers Mark and Jay Duplass got nominated, so maybe that attention will mean I will finally get to see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home