Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Interviews With Two Talented, Brainy Directors

There is no question that both Stephen Gaghan and Darren Aronofsky are interesting and talented filmmakers with something to say. Neither one of them has taken the make big Hollywood fluff route for the most part. They both have struggled (Gaghan with a drug addiction many years back and Aronofsky to get Pi made and put The Fountain back together after Brad Pitt dropped out), but seem stronger having been through those challenges. After winning an Oscar for writing Traffic, Gaghan did direct a thriller that starred Katie Holmes as a crazy college student, but even that had a bit of darkness to it, I mean, it wasn't exactly Herbie Fully Loaded. I think even though Darren's next movie, The Fountain, cost much more than his previous smaller, edgier films, Pi and Requiem For a Dream, it will likely have some substance. Read this interview if you want to find out more about The Fountain. I am really looking forward to Gaghan's next flick, Syriana, which he talks about in this interview. I also read that Gaghan is going to adapt Malcolm Gladwell's book, Blink, into a movie. I am a huge fan of that book and Malcolm in general and even though at first I wasn't sure how you would make that book into a movie, the idea they came up with is pretty cool. Everyone who knows me that reads this blog is thinking it, so I will admit that both of these directors are the smart, boyish, hyper-talented type that I find attractive and even though I do think they both are cute, it isn't why I go to see their movies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home