Tuesday, October 11, 2005

My Review: The Squid and the Whale

Last week I went to the Arclight and saw an early screening of Noah Baumbach's The Squid and the Whale. I posted a trailer and some info about this movie previously (like the fact that I think the director is really smart, talented and cute), but I figured I would tell you what I thought of it. First off, let me say that the movie was made in 23 days for less than 2 million dollars. The fact that a film of this caliber can be made with a budget and schedule like that should make the studios realize that big money and stars are not the only ingredients that matter when making movie (they won't, but I am just saying). The Squid and the Whale is about family, divorce, intellectual snobs and the damage that narcissistic parents can do to their kids. The movie is not always easy to watch because of how incredibly honest and raw it is, but it is worth suffering through the moments that want to make you squirm, because it is truly wonderful. Jeff Daniels gives one of his best performances, Laura Linney is always good and the kids played by Jesse Eisenberg and Owen Kline (Phoebe Cates and Kevin Kline are his parents) are so authentic that it is breathtaking to watch. If the wrong kid had been cast and tried to somehow play it cutesy (especially in Owen's role), it literally could have ruined the movie. Read this interview with the writer/director or this one in the NY Times (free reg req'd). If you want to read a review, click here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home